Who else loved loaded baked potatoes growing up? All the fixings for me: sour cream, cheese, bacon and a bit of green onion. That actually sounds pretty good right about now, except a) I don’t love plain white potatoes much anymore and b) I avoid dairy. So what’s a girl to do when she is craving something comforting? Reinvent the wheel with a healthier version. Introducing my stuffed tex-mex sweet potatoes.
I may or may not be addicted to sweet potatoes. Typically I’m roasting them into crispy baked fries but this time I went for a loaded baked version. Swap the sour cream for guacamole, the cheese for a chipotle aioli, the bacon for refried beans and lastly, the green onions for chives. This was DEE-LISH! Realistically you could use white potatoes for this, but I just love the flavour contrast with the savoury and sweet!
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1.5 TBSP chipotle aioli
- 1 tsp chives, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place sweet potatoes on a lined baking sheet. Rub them in olive oil. Cut a 2-inch opening at the top of each potato. Cook for 25-30 minutes until softened.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Mix together
- In a small pot, heat refried beans.
- When sweet potatoes are ready, cool for 5-10 minutes. Start loading each one up: refried beans, avocado, aioli and chives.
- Serve warm.