I am always up for a bit of a challenge, so when Persimon from Ribera del Xúquer presented me with a Black Box Challenge I gladly accepted. Persimon are unique variety of persimmons from Spain. Their benefits are endless, however a few notable ones are:
- high in antioxidants, fibre, vitamin C and vitamin A
- they are similar to a cantaloupe, mango or peach (very sweet!)
- they are ready to eat upon purchase, unlike other varieties
- the skin is safe to consume, if you like
- they make for a great snack, slice them up or eat like an apple!
So while they relatively new to the Canadian marketplace, Persimon can be found in major grocery stores. They are highly versatile also; roast, marinate, puree and more.
For this project, I created a few party-friendly recipes that highlight this fruit in various ways, using other traditional Spanish ingredients.
Check the video here (full recipes are below).
Roasted Persimon w/ Manchego Cheese Pinxto
- 1 Persimon, cut into wedges
- 1T Spanish olive oil
- 8-10 slices gluten-free baguette, toasted
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8-10 slices manchego cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds, roasted and crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toss wedged Persimon in olive oil and pinch sea salt, to taste. Place on baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet and replace with gluten-free baguette. Remove once browned.
- Meanwhile, add balsamic to a saucepan over medium heat until reduced to glaze consistency (like a syrup).
- Assemble pintxo in following order: gluten-free baguette, manchego cheese slice, Persimon wedge, 1/2tsp balsamic glaze, pinch of crushed almonds.
Smoked Tuna Belly Pinxto w/ Persimon Salsa
- 1 Persimon, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2T olive oil
- 1T sherry vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- pinch of cayenne
- 8-10 pieces of smoked tuna belly
- 8-10 slices of gluten-free baguette, toasted
- Combine salsa ingredients in a medium bowl (everything except tuna belly and baguette).
- Assemble pinxto in following order: gluten-free baguette, slice of tuna belly, 1tsp of Persimon salsa.
Sardine Fish Cakes w/ Persimon Salsa
- 1 jar sardines soaked in olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped,
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg,
- 1.5T gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- 1T olive oil
- In a medium bowl, add sardines and mash. Add additional ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium. Form mixture into smaller patties and fry for 4 minutes per side.
- Plate and top with Persimon salsa (recipe above).
Persimon & Granola Parfait
- 1 Persimon sliced horizontally
- 1 cup yoghurt (I used coconut for a dairy-free/vegan option)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free granola
- Layer as follows: Persimon, yoghurt, granola, and repeat.