If I’m ever in a pinch for a snack, I will go to the drugstore or grocery store and pick up a pack of mixed nuts or trail mix. No matter what though, there is always that one item in the bag that you pick around. Leaving a collection of those bits at the very bottom. Not only is this a waste of money, but also food waste (like, hello, who wants weird candied fruit with their nuts?). While thinking of ways to satisfy my constant snack craving, I realized I am the master of my own life, and that includes my snack game.
Lightbulb goes off, and I’m wondering why I haven’t DIY’d trail mix before. Not only can I pick the ingredients I want, but I can adjust the flavour to suit my preferences too. Why not combine a tad bit of each of my favourites for one mega delicious snack? A little salty, sweet and spicy! Trail mix is, for me, such an easy snack that is high in healthy fats, low glycemic, satiating and simple. It’s great when on the go, pre- or post-workout, a midday snack, and great for the adventurous types who spend extended periods of time in the great outdoors!
So, are you ready for the recipe? I used Royal Nuts products for all nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
- 1 cup raw almonds, unsalted
- 1 cup raw walnuts, unsalted
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl mix almonds, walnuts, coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and 1/4 tsp salt. Place on a lined baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pan, allow to cool completely. Toss in a bowl with remaining ingredients.
- Store in a mason jar and snack as you please!